A Local Law Firm Helping Injured Cyclists For Decades
Bicycles have just as much right to the road as cars and trucks. When a motorist’s negligence leads to serious injuries for the bicyclist, the damages are often incredibly expensive. If a driver struck or sideswiped you while you were riding your bike, you can find help from Murrelle, Hughes & Majstoravich, P.A.
For more than 40 years, we have served the people of Morehead City and the surrounding communities by helping injury victims recover compensation. We might be located in a small town, but that doesn’t mean we are small-time. In total, we have recovered millions for our clients.
What Are The Most Common Causes Of Bicycle Accidents?
Common causes of motor vehicle accidents involving bicyclists on the road include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a leading cause of all kinds of vehicle collisions, including those involving bicycles. Distracted drivers on their phones may be less likely to spot a bicyclist on the side of the road or crossing the street.
- Speeding: Going above the speed limit slows driver reaction times, and an impact can result in more serious injuries due to the amount of force. Speeding can also cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles or hydroplane if they’re driving on wet or slippery surfaces.
- Unsafe lane changes: Drivers can cause bicycle accidents if they fail to signal or check to make sure bicycle lanes are clear before moving into them to make right turns. Cars can easily strike a bicyclist in the lane or even cut them off by moving into their path.
- Failure to yield: There are numerous locations on the road where vehicle drivers are obligated to yield to oncoming traffic, which can include bicycle traffic. One specific instance is if cars fail to wait for bicyclists to safely cross the road before they turn left on a green light – this is a form of reckless driving.
- Impaired driving: Drivers who are drunk or on drugs place themselves and everyone around them in danger, including bicyclists on the road. Alcohol and drugs reduce a driver’s ability to make safe decisions and respond to obstacles or sudden movements quickly, which can cause accidents.
Why Do I Need A North Carolina Bike Accident Lawyer?
North Carolina follows a practice called pure contributory negligence. It means that if a bicycle rider has even 1% fault for an accident, they do not have the right to file a personal injury claim for any amount of compensation. Because of this law, the driver’s insurance company will immediately try to pin the fault on you so that it does not have to compensate you.
That is why you need personal injury attorneys like ours to protect your rights. Our bicycle accident lawyers stand up to powerful insurance companies and fight tenaciously to determine the source of fault. Although many claims adjusters, police officers, judges and jurors often blame bike riders for accidents automatically, we level the playing field to give you a stronger shot at recovering compensation.
Speak With A Morehead City Bike Accident Attorney For Free
You deserve the help of the experienced personal injury lawyers at Murrelle, Hughes & Majstoravich, P.A. Please call us at 252-515-7036 or send us an email to schedule an initial free personal injury consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis. You pay no fees upfront.